Strange how you can relax in good company and feel so alone, and be by yourself yet not be lonely one bit.
----
It's pouring out tonight. I woke up late this morning. Even though it was busy at work today, I still don't feel sleepy. Mama made hot chocolate with halal marshmellows after she came home from bhabi's; we sat on the swing out on the patio, mugs in hand, and chatted until she started yawning. Just as she was about to doze off, I gently nudged her and told her to go to bed. Kissing my forehead and telling me to not stay up too late, she gathered up the mugs. I smiled. Mothers worry so much. I think it comforts them to fuss.
Promising to head in soon, I watched her go inside, then turned my attention to the dark, rainy night. I noticed fireflies glowing through the downpour. How pretty they looked in the dark wet night. I remember when we were young, my brothers and I would catch them and put them in clear glass jars. We'd make holes in the metal tops so they wouldn't suffocate, and feed them flower petals.
Absentmindedly curling a lock of hair around my fingers, I tried not to think of how many poor fireflies we'd unwittingly killed.
Through the screen door, I heard my cellphone ring but ignored it. It rang twice again, then fell silent. Far off in the distance a siren wailed.
Watching rain fall is hypnotic. If you observe closely enough, you'll notice each individual drop elongated by the pull of gravity as it rushes headlong towards earth. It's rhythmic pitter-pattering cadence soothes as it mesmerizes.
Contentedly lost in thought, I don't know how much time elapsed before my brother opened the screen door.
Dumbo, it's late why are still out here. Come inside.
Jolted from my reverie, I chuckled.
Dumbo, it's late why are you still out here. Come inside, I mimicked.
Slowly rising from the swing, I stifled a yawn. I playfully ducked at him with the paper and made my way inside to sleep.