It was Gibran who said, In only one drop of water are found all the secrets of the ocean.  What a privilege it is for the drop deemed worthy of such an honor. How proud it must feel to be entrusted with such glorious distinction..
But it must also be exhausting for a single drop to harbor confidences of such vast proportion. 
Does it yearn to relinquish its burden and flow freely amongst it's kind unencumbered? I wonder... Or perhaps the noble task of safeguarding the ocean's treasures has become a vital part of it's very existence...

I don't know, but I find myself fascinated.

~

Comments/thoughts/feedback welcome and appreciated.  http://openid.net/get/
Email: iexistence.blog@gmail.com

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

At the end of my shift today, I gathered my things, clocked out, and made my way to the hospital chapel to pray Asr.
The doors slid open and as I stepped inside, I noticed a middle-aged woman sitting in the front row. She didn't look up as I entered, and I went to pull out a prayer mat from the small chest in the back. Just as I set my things down and positioned the mat to begin prayers, she turned around in her seat and sobbing loudly, cried out, 'Will you please pray with me? I don't want to be alone anymore. Please come pray with me..' 
Startled, I realized she was talking to me. Without hesitating, I went and sat down next to her, unsure of what to do next. She grabbed both my hands in hers and implored me to pray with her as she sobbed to God to save her best friend and sister. I firmly held her hands as she leaned against me and cried. I helplessly racked my brain for what to say that could ease this woman's distress. I didn't know the protocol for Christian prayers. Some people always know the right thing to say at the right time, but words often fail me... sometimes they're inadequate in face of such grief. So I sat in silence and let her cry - tears are cathartic. 
After several minutes, her crying subsided and she lifted her head and began thanking me. 
I cut her off, smiled and reassured her everything would be alright, for her to have faith and be strong.
She took hold of my hand again and said, 'You're Muslim aren't you? I said some bad things about you people. I'm really sorry you're not a bad person.'
Her confession took me by surprise and I smiled. 
'No,' I replied. 'I'm Muslim and I'm not a bad person. And you're Christian and you're not a bad person either. I think more than bad people in the world, are good people who do bad things.'  The woman's niece entered the chapel, and I patted her back and rose. 
Letting her take over the task of comforting her aunt, I went back to pray.