----
I turned off the tv, set the remote control on the coffee table, and leaned against the couch. Closing my eyes, I tried to block the images from my mind. I could sense the palpable anguish fear and heartache as if I were there myself. Bodies of loved ones buried in the rubble.. an entire city reduced to nothing. So much devastation and destruction... so much suffering.
Ya'Allah, have mercy.
Brushing my hands raggedly across my face, I rose. I could feel the walls closing in around me.
Shuddering, I squeezed my eyes shut and willed my heartbeat to slow down. The ability to acutely empathize is a mixed blessing. It's strange how we feel so much sometimes but cannot say a word.
Allah (swt) warns us we will be tested.
Be sure We will test you with something of fear and hunger, some loss in goods or lives or the fruits of your toil, but give glad tidings to those who patiently persevere. Who say, when afflicted with calamity,'To Allah we belong and to Him is our return.' They are those on whom descend blessings from Allah and mercy, and they are the ones that receive guidance. [Qur'an 2:155-157]
May He grant the patience wisdom strength and courage to pass these tests.