It was Gibran who said, In only one drop of water are found all the secrets of the ocean.  What a privilege it is for the drop deemed worthy of such an honor. How proud it must feel to be entrusted with such glorious distinction..
But it must also be exhausting for a single drop to harbor confidences of such vast proportion. 
Does it yearn to relinquish its burden and flow freely amongst it's kind unencumbered? I wonder... Or perhaps the noble task of safeguarding the ocean's treasures has become a vital part of it's very existence...

I don't know, but I find myself fascinated.

~

Comments/thoughts/feedback welcome and appreciated.  http://openid.net/get/
Email: iexistence.blog@gmail.com

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Ramadan 1430: Day 1

Hadhrat Usman (ra) narrates that Rasulallah (saw) said, 'The best amongst you is he who reads the Quran, and teaches it to others.' (Sahih Bukhari, Tirmidhzi)

-----
For the first time in many years, I really want to try reading and understanding Qur'an this Ramadan as much as I possibly can. In Ramadans past, I would read the Arabic Qur'an because it was obligatory, but I didn't benefit from it as much as I'd like because I can't understand Arabic. Attending the halaqas facilitates this a little, but I don't get to attend nearly enough. Ideally I would love to take Arabic and Tafseer/Tajweed classes at some point to improve my comprehension and learn to recite better, but until then my brilliant friend suggested another avenue I could explore: listening to verses online with English translation, while following along with my own hard copy of the Qur'an! It's such a simple, effective solution, I wonder why i didn't think of it myself.  
So inshallah inshallah that's what I will do. Each day in Ramadan I hope to complete at least one Juz. Ya'Allah, please keep me steadfast in my efforts, strengthen my resolve, and help me stay on track so I can do this.
----
8/22: 
completed Juz 1
Chapter 1: Surah Al-Fatiha
Chapter 2: Surah Al-Baqarah Verses 1-141